Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Who would have thunk it?

As I have mentioned previously, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and live severely sleep deprived. I am on lots of medications and herbal supplements in my quest for a half decent night's sleep but I have yet to attain it. In any event, one of the symptoms of this condition is nausea a lot of the time. Mornings are no exception and I have a difficult time stomaching anything except yogurt after I get up.

Being on a fixed income, I can't afford store bought yogurt, so I invested in a yogurt maker and make my own. For whatever reason, I didn't follow the directions correctly when I first started making yogurt. It called for half a cup of powdered milk, which I left out, probably because I didn't have any at the time. I ended up with a semi solid form of yogurt, which I thought was the way home made was supposed to turn out, and for years I have left out the powdered milk. Until lately.

A few weeks ago I went on the quest for a perfect yogurt. I wasn't happy with the runny substitute that I had been consuming for quite a few years. So I pulled out the directions and lo and behold - I was missing powdered milk! Well, not believing that 5 tablespoons of this powder could bring about such a change, I did some research on the internet and then bought some powdered milk to try. Wow! What a difference! I now have wonderfully firm, delicious tasting yogurt that I would be proud to serve anyone.

The moral of the story? If at first you don't succeed, read the directions again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment