Sunday, June 5, 2011

Talk to the Hand!

This post has been a while coming. I started it a month or so ago and wanted to let it sit before actually posting. I had to see if I was just overreacting or if this truly bothered me. And it bothers me so here is the post.


I am not sure why it is that people feel they have the right to give medical advice or that I even want it from a layperson. I mean, I am the one that has been suffering from the fibromyalgia and sleep disorder for a long time. I am university educated and have done an enormous amount of research on my own, trying to come up with new and more effective ways to deal with this. It is complicated and although I know people are well meaning, I have no interest in hearing their opinions on the various types of health care professionals that I should seek out. Firstly, I am on a pension and don't have the funds for alternative treatments. And secondly, there is no scientific evidence that these treatments work. I do take a number of supplements that have been shown to help sleep quality, but after all this time, just leave me be. As well meaning as the intention might be, it isn't helpful nor worth my precious energy.

1 comment:

  1. sorry to read that you are experiencing such severe physical difficulties. total drag. wanted to share w/you what i did when faced w/the same situation last summer when i was diagnosed w/breast cancer (and ended up having a bilateral mastectomy). i focused exclusively on the intent and concern for me that was the basis for the "advice". and the more i did that the more i was blown away by how many people cared for me and wanted to help me. upon given unsolicited advice i would thank the person for his/her concern, assure them i would "consider" it (which i did for all of a nanosecond) and then pursued the treatment i felt was best for me. for persistent "helpers" who continually brought up the subject i would again profusely thank them for their concern and told them i was pursuing the treatment i intuitively felt was best for me. i never had to do it but you could also simply tell a persistent helper that you simply don't want to discuss your medical condition. a boundary that can be set w/love and respect for everyone. if you focus on their caring intent while realizing that you are under no obligation to spend any of your energy or money or time or brainwaves on pursuing their agenda your energy need not be drained by these people - in fact this change in focus can become a source of support for you. blessings to you - sandy

    ReplyDelete